Tuesday 12 May 2015

OUTFIT: Trust Me

 The sun's shining and I am working nine to five. Not only indoors but in a dungeon! Ok, I am exaggerating but I do work as a guide in medieval underground so not that much. The job's great and with all the free time I would have these days it's great to keep myself busy. Plus, most of the part time workers are from high school and they still have to attend classes until the end of June, so these days there is still more work for those like me, which I appreciate, really. In May, museum is mostly visited by kids (school field trips) and foreigners, mostly German and Scandinavian (sorry, I do not ask about their origin and all I can tell is that they are either Swedish, Danish or Norwegian) and sometimes Korean. I'm one of the few guides who is fluent in English and therefore capable of making the whole tour in English without difficulties, thus I get most of the foreign groups (this doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, I do, try talking to bunch of native speakers in your second language). Which also means I sometimes enjoy the tips. Some colleagues complain about the Czechs not giving any. But the answer to that is quite obvious - first, there is nothing special to be in your country guided through a museum in your country's language. On the other hand, having a guide who speaks to you in your native tongue in a foreign country or at least using a language you comprehend while you didn't pay extra money for such service, is a pleasant thing and some people like to let the guide know they appreciate it. I know I would do that. And one more thing. The tip is nice but it is not expected, we are not a restaurant. I get paid and I like the job. I do like being appreciated for the effort - as I do try my best to keep the visitors happy - but a simple thank you is quite enough.

Do you tip at museums or similar facilities? What are the conditions the guide has to meet in order to receive a tip?





Outfit:
long cardigan, thrifted, 
grey tee, Fishbone, 
black jeans, thrifted, 
shoes, thrifted, 
bucket bag, off-brand, 
watch, Geneva, 
sunglasses, off-brand, 
necklace, off-brand, 

No comments:

Post a Comment