Friday 22 May 2015

What I've been up to

Lately I've been so into my Social Studies finals! Ok, truth is I was not studying as much as I'd like to, as I was working quite a lot. You can say that being a guide at a museum is no real hard work and sometimes you'd be right - there are days that are full of reading, gossipping and coffee-drinking and then there are days when I manage to have a ten-minute lunch at two p.m. (which I luckily bought in the morning and just heated it in the microwave), run up those horrid stone stairs like 40 times and then just crawl out of the door in the end. Anyway, I love doing it. I love English-speaking groups, which none of my colleagues want, because I keep in touch with the language and some of these are really fun to guide.
Some time ago I mentioned trying to buy more local products and less prefabricates. I continue to do that, plus I've been more careful with my money. Not that I spend too much money on things I don't need. It's just that I'm not able to save anything. The more I earn, the more I spend and at the end of the month there's nothing! And I'd love to save some money for bigger stuff, like a nice set of kitchen knifes. So I started writing shopping lists and sticking with it. I stopped buying clothes every time I feel like it. I try to plan the meals in advance - it had happened to me several times that right after bringing home groceries for a month I had no idea what I'm about to cook! I'm making some progress and I hope I'm gonna be a real housewife!
Back to the local products - not only that I keep getting meat from the butcher and fish from the fishery, I also decided to help myself to some home-made stuff. In the following weeks I'm making a elderberry syrup (I done that two years ago - delicious!), also I plan to get some fruits from the market in the summer and make my own apricot jam and later, pickled cucumbers and cheese. But this week I was devoted to making the best pate ever! Ok, maybe not but definitely one that has great taste and there are no artificial thingies. My first attempt turned out pretty good - I "only" made a kilogramme of it, gave a quarter of it as a sample to my parents - and now it seems like I'll be making more for my entire family soon enough, as they managed to eat their sample the very first day and I have only one more glass left. I call it a success!
Do you have any more ideas about what should I try to make at home? I'm thinking of making these but my cats might not enjoy it as much as I would...


No comments:

Post a Comment