Thursday 11 December 2014

Series of Unfortunate Events - great to read if you're and adult too

After having to go through my Psychology notes and book in order to pass the exam (got an A, like a boss!), then writing a 4 pages essay about the intercultural topic of White Teeth, 4 pages of culture traditions in Šumava, another 4 concerning The Story of Lucy Gault (what a strange book) and skimming the Economics book (the worst thing ever!) I just needed some rest. And as my idea of free time is reading a nice and easy book, I've decided to read Lemony Snicket. I must admit, I never cared about the series when I was younger. Maybe because at the time it appeared in Czech translation, I was so into Harry Potter and then Lord of the Rings, that I wasn't interested, I don't know. Anyway, even though it is a book for children, obviously, I enjoy reading it now. I got it in English, of course, so I keep up my level a bit.
I must say, sometimes it's pretty ingenious. After reading about a snake called Virginian Woolf that cannot be let near a typewriter I had to pause for almost 3 minutes, as I was laughing hard (the lady in the train looked suprised).Also, the beginning of 6th book got me: The book you are hold­ing in your two hands right now-as­sum­ing that you are, in fact, hold­ing this book, and that you have only two hands--is one of two books in the world that will show you the dif­fer­ence be­tween the word “ner­vous” and the word “anx­ious.” The other book, of course, is the dic­tio­nary, and if I were you I would read that book in­stead."

 The good thing is, that the book is quite predictable. It's like watching CSI (or Scooby-Doo, which I hate). Being familiar with the scheme of the book series makes it easier to read even when you are tired.Also, each book is very short, so even when I'm short of time, I manage to finish it in one day, which is great as I have to deal with other texts and if I had to split the story, I wouldn't remember the beginning when finishing it.

I also enjoy the explanations of some complicated words. Some are really funny to read.

One more thing. I'm not sure If I would want to read it as a child. There are so many dead people and other dreadful things! It would make me terrified of other people. But perhaps more grateful for having a loving family.

Overall: Totally worth it. Better that sitting all day watching some sitcoms or series that just repeat themselves (I'm looking forward to my everyday episode of Bones though). And, there's a movie, not so bad, even though it only consists of the first three books.

No comments:

Post a Comment