Tuesday 18 November 2014

If I stay

I quite admire Chloë Grace Moretz, so I was having a hard time waiting for the movie, as I missed it in the cinema's. But then I discovered the book. And as I am one of those who believe that Book Is Always Better (with a small exception, which was Green Mile and LOTR, the movies are equally good as the books), I decided to read it first, so I could be bitching about how different the movie is and how they screwed up , that's what I do... Anyway, this is the book review. And below is a movie trailer with Czech subtitles.


The book approaches an interesting topic - whether there is an afterlife and whether some people might get to decide whether to stay in this life or continue to the next one. Also I appreciate main character's passion for music. I don't listen to music much these days, as spend most of my time with a lot of people and It makes me exhausted, so I like silence when I get home - but I completely understand the feeling you have, when you hear some particular melody, which completely paralyses you, you feel happiness and cry at the same time. The way feelings are described in this book is very believable, at least for me. Also, Mia is very close to many of us. The way she struggles with self confidence, often wonders why the boy likes her, that is so me. I keep asking that question every now and then, in a long term relationship.
On the other hand, the book is quite short - I mean, 184 pages?? that seems short to me - , thus, in some parts, little shallow. But maybe it seems to me because I love details. Despite of this it makes you think. About your life, your decisions, your goals... And whether you'd make the same decision as Mia if you were in the same situation.
So, I'd say it's worth reading (honestly, I seldom read books that are not worth it), save If I stay for those melancholic days, when you are in the mood for something easy but still pretty serious in a way.
Edit: Today I saw the movie, finally. I don't know. I mean it is quite a good story, it made me cry like hell and it sticks to the book quite a lot. A bit of a disappointment was Chloe Grace's performance. In some moments, I just don't trust her, she overacts some of the emotions. Which is hard for me to say as I completely adore her. Apart from that, it was a good movie. Nice soundtrack, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment