Friday 28 November 2014

Why you should / shouldn't read Kazuo Ishiguro

I've been working on my book list for my English finals. I already have those thirty books we were supposed to have (unlike the others, I believe you should read everything on your list and not just an extract from each book), but I am still trying to make the list more interesting. I've read several present authors we were recommended - ok, I've read them not only because they sounded interesting but also to make an impression, but I don't think that's wrong. Anyway, Kazuo Ishiguro was one of the recommended. I started with Remains of the Day and, as I didn't quite get it, I continued with Never Let Me Go. Now I understand a little better.



It's not that I didn't understand the plot. It's quite simple. A butler, driving across the country, remembering the good old days at Darlington Hall. No, the thing I hated about the book was the lack of emotions from main character's side. It was a strange book, really. So, my friend told me to read the Never Let Me Go. Which is completely different in a way. It is sort of a science fiction about kids - clones who are raised to be donors of organs. There's a sort of a love story there. But thanks to this book I figured out what is going on with Kazuo Ishiguro, drum roll, please...
First, what you need to know, if you didn't look it up is that the author is Japanese. Not that he spent much time in Japan, but he was born there and he was raised by Japanese parents. And what do we know about Japanese people and emotions? They don't show any. Well, that is not entirely true but, they do not express feelings like European people do. That is possibly why both these books lack the expressions of passion, anger, regret, love... Which can be frustrating for a reader. At some point I was literally yelling at the characters why don't they shout or break stuff or cry or do something (of course, this yelling was only happening in my head but it felt like real) because it was so remote for me. But, after I realised this, I also knew why he picked these topics, as distant from Japanese culture as a British manor and a school for donors can be. They were quite close to his way of thinking. Because hey, clones do not express feelings and neither do the servants, right? That doesn't mean they don't have them.
Some of you might not be as sensitive as I am so you should definitely read one of Ishiguro's novels. I'd go for Never Let Me Go. It's easier to read and I find it more interesting.
And finally, if you are super lazy readers, both of the books have been filmed. I haven't seen the movies yet but I'll let you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment