Saturday 12 July 2014

Everlasting stripes

Every woman probably knows that stripes (especially sailor stripes) are immortal. Striped shirts and T-shirts have been "in" all the time I can remember and according to pictures so they had been before. But some of you may have read something about the effects stripes may and may not have on your body look. You know what I mean, "horizontal stripes make you fat, diagonal and vertical make you thin". And even though many have tried to forget about that, it still is somewhere in our vicious brains and it emerges every time you choose a striped apparel.


Striped clothes that can be found in my closet (not all of them,
 unfortunately I'm in the middle of packing)

Well I do think about it every once in a while. A then I say, what the heck. I'm gonna wear you anyway. Because I love my sailor shirt. And my other striped shirt. And the striped shirt I bought for my boyfriend. And stuff. I do not care if the diagonal stripes would make me look thinner. Because... It wouldn't help me anyway. What I mean is, that when you are already spatially significant, it doesn't matter what pattern do you have on your t-shirt. Neither does it matter when you are thin. It is not the stripes that make you look fat. Fat makes you look fat. Clothes that are not cut properly and doesn't fit you the way they should make you fat. Not the stripes!

Speaking of proper clothing cuts and sizes, that means you neither buy smaller shirt ("it will fit me just fine, when I lose some weight") nor bigger one ("to hide my huge belly and hips"). It doesn't work that way. In smaller sizes you will look like a Michelin guy (which must be adorable in sailor stripes), in case you are thin, it will seem like you have to borrow clothes from your 6 year old sister. And bigger size isn't gonna make you look thin. You'll look like a bag or a sack or whatever you people say when you want to describe clothes that have just one purpose: to hide everything under - including stolen melon and two six packs of beer. So just don't. Pick your size carefully. And you will look just awesome, no matter what size you are.
red jacket, Fishbone; striped shirt, Gate; crossbody bag, Dara Bags; black jeans, thrifted; canvas shoes, F&F 

No comments:

Post a Comment