Thursday 24 July 2014

Just an ordinary day at work

Some days in the museum are extremely boring. When there is hot outside, people prefer to be sunbathing or swimming in the lake, so not many come to see the undergrounds. And with four guides that means you have nothing to do all day. Well, almost nothing. I finally managed to see the new exhibition and read some notes about the old one. Also I noticed some funny thing in the texts. For example, Prokop Holý is one of the Hussite leaders and his name is translated into English as "Prokop "The Shaven"". That would suggest that he had to shave his head. I do not think that the name implies anything about his hair, I don't agree with translating anybody's name, but when you have to do so, it should be "The Bald" not "The Shaven".
Another fun fact:
Petr Chelčický

This is a replica of a statue of Petr Chelcicky made by František Bílek. I find it awesome that the statue is actually sniffing its armpit. 
But some days are not as boring. We have this colleague. And he's a complete jerk. He believes that he knows better than us just because he is there longer, so he commands us. And he is not doing that very kindly. In fact, he is impossible with people, no matter if they are customers or coworkers. So what happened last time made me laugh hard (I decided that I have better stuff to do than dealing with idiots, so I don't). That day I had to lead a tour in a costume (every Saturday on summer holiday, it's quite fun, I wear a costume and talk about the town hall and then go to the undergrounds with lanterns) and afterwards two groups booked another tour like that. That was a little complicated as I was the only guide who knew the text about the town hall and could guide the group around the Gothic hall. But I said I'm fine with that, I'd do the palace and some other guide would take the group to the underground. But the commander said no. He ordered two other people to learn the text in those two hours left so they could guide the tour on their own. I tried to explain that it is nonsense to force them to do it for the first time in such circumstances. No. So he spent the two hours walking around asking the two poor guides questions like "in which year was the palace destroyed to its current form?" - well, first of all, he really used the word "destroyed - it should be transformed, - and second of all - who cares? It was at the beginning of 20th century. You don't need to know this year. You have to know about 5 others but not this one. So I spent the two hours by calming the two down, trying to show and tell them as much as I could and show them some support. They did well. As well as possible in such circumstances. And I laughed. in my head of course, but I did, because it was a really dumb idea. So I high-fived the bear and went to celebrate our bosses birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment