Tuesday 15 July 2014

John Fowles and The Collector

So, I am studying English at college and recently we had this book on the list. And As I have no idea how am I gonna do it next year if I want to finish bachelors degree on time, I decided to read some of the books I need for the finals in advance. This one was actually a great choice.
I like the way this book is divided. One part is told by the male character Clegg and the other part by the female, Miranda, his prisoner, which enables you to see both sides of the problem. Some moments make you actually hate Miranda, even though she is the one kidnapped, she is the victim, but you feel sorry for her kidnapper instead. The novel is very disturbing and intense. In the end I decided I never want to read it again. That's what I say every time I read a book that terrifies me.
Truth is, that there was something about the book that really disgusted me, puzzled me, terrified me. And it was the discussion we had about it at school. Teacher asked us who's read it. There were like three of us. Then she wanted to know whether we liked it. And a girl answered that it was similar to Fifty shades of Grey and that is why she liked it. The first think that came to my mind was this:
Then I tried really hard to actually think about what she said. I actually found a few things that connect the two books:
1. there is a girl and a guy.
2. the guy is rich and is a little weird.
3. The guy is misusing the girl (can't find another word, that would fit both cases).
4. The guy fancies the girl.
 Well, that's about that. That is literally all they have in common. My mind was going to explode! I believe that the girl read a different book (probably some Fifty shades of other female bullshit novels). The teacher gave her a very puzzled face and replied, that she hasn't read that so she can't agree with her. My faith in humanity and future of reading was restored when I told about it to my friend. She laughed hard, then pulled new Pratchett's book out of her bag and started to read, not minding the lecture.
So, read The collector. Do it, you'll love it. Or hate it. Probably both, but that makes the book even more exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment