Thursday 16 October 2014

OUTFIT: My first lolita-like outfit

blouse, Evie; skirt, thrifted; umbrella, old-as-hell
Okay, I know it is not perfect, but I bought this skirt and I knew it would be perfect for it. I've had the blouse for ages and as for the umbrella, I found it in the cabin in the woods so...

To be honest, there's more than just a skirt. I quite enjoy costumes. And I don't mean those hot sexy slutty costumes you can find everywhere and which you only wear for like five minutes, if you know what I mean. But I have never been to a costume party, when I was at school. I studied at a smart-ass school and all we had was a pyjamas sleepover at school (which was actually pretty awesome). When I grew up a bit, I started to go to summer camps (at the age of 14), first as a child, then as a instructor. I liked the idea of spending 14 days dressing like a freak (only for part of each day, but camping means no showers, weird clothes all the time, blood, mud and other stuff you are not supposed to do in society). I enjoyed making a costume for a Musketeer or an Aztec. But then I turned 17 and I stopped going. Got busy, bored perhaps. And I missed it. There are no Halloween parties or trick-or-treating in my country, so when my friend suggested throwing a Halloween-themed New Year's party, I was excited. I got my boyfriend everything needed for Freddy Krueger, I watched a tutorial to do his make-up properly (he looked really scary!) and we were supposed to be a movie duo. Him as a Nightmare on Elm Street and me as...The Birds. I thought it was ingenious! I had my shirt with lots of crows on it, I made three more crows from black paper, two with safety pins to put on my clothes and one to go into my messy hair. I had painted scratches and bruises all over my face and arms. No one got it. I had to tell them what my costume was. But then again, other people's costumes weren't very thoughtful. Our host just put a purple wig on and a lot of black liner.
Last week I got an invitation to a Steampunk tea party. I've been working on my costume ever since. I've seen hundreds of pictures, DIY videos, inspirations and everything. I went to a second-hand store to buy some "materials". I think the costume is pretty good, but... I barely know the people and some of these Cosplay fans can be pretty nasty. About the materials used. For example, I made a steampunk pilot goggles according to a tutorial from regular plastic swimming goggles. Or, my fake-leather bracelet is made of foam sheet. It looks bad ass but some people might say, that I used materials that were not available in the era. I don't know, I am a little nervous. Hope there will be a lot of costumes so I can take some pictures...!

No comments:

Post a Comment