Sunday 19 October 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Have you seen the movie? I did. And I loved it. I loved Emma in her short haircut, I adored Ezra Miller (as much as I do in every movie he's in) and Charlie, oh Charlie, how much I felt sorry for you! I didn't get to the book until last week, because it was not available in Czech and, to be honest, I was too lazy to read it in English. But that is exactly what I eventually did. And I love the movie a little less...
The book is perfect. You know the kind of books that make you feel horrible and awesome at the same time? Well that's the one. The language is simple (I didn't have to look up any words, except for "jaundice"), the letter form makes it interesting and the story line is easy to follow. On the other hand, the movie didn't depict Charlie's personality as well as the book did (in it's defense I must say that it must have been really difficult). But the truth is that Charlie is a really complicated personality, with many "little secrets" and he's a teenager. Sometimes I know exactly how he feels, the confusion, the disbalance, despair, and I had no such stories in my life as he did. But I felt the same. The feeling I'm trying to describe is best shown in one of the final scenes in the film, when Charlie says:
"There is so much pain. And I-I-I don't know how to not notice it."
Dr. Burton: "What's hurting you?"
Charlie: "No, not... not me. It's them! It's... it's everyone. It never stops. Do you understand?"
That is, I think, the crucial moment. The one that explains everything. That some people feel the urge to help the others, to make them happy and not care about themselves...
It is difficult time, growing up. No matter if you had stuff like Charlie going on or not.
When I first watch the movie and then read the book, I try not to say "The book was better". And I won't do it now. I think both movie and book are worth it.
We are infinite...

No comments:

Post a Comment