Monday 19 January 2015

Best breakup/ melancholy albums

Being in a happy relationship is a great thing really. But sometimes I get nostalgic and think about all these breakups, listening to all kinds of songs, great ones, actually. But they are those kinds of songs you don't usually play. I am glad that as far as I can see there is no breakup ahead of me (hopefully), but sometimes feeling nostalgic and perhaps melancholic is not bad. And these are my favourite albums:


1. Little Broken Hearts by Norah Jones - Every single song is about breakup. My personal favourite is track 11. Miriam. the song is quite brutal in the end, but the tune is really catchy, like a lullaby.
2. Boatman's call by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Another album where the artist deals with a breakup and again it is perfection! Honestly, this is the greatest Cave's album. Also the saddest.
3. Mosaic Views by Calm Season - Czech duo debut. Brilliant work, the combination of cello and guitar is brilliant and melancholic and I love the girl's voice. Their newest album is in Czech and I haven't heard it all yet, but I don't like it as much as the previous one, I believe it is much harder to compose a song in Czech language so it made sense and sounded nice.
4. Practically anything by Placebo - This must be a cliche now, because everybody knows that Placebo is probably the most melancholic band ever. That is why I had to mention them. My personal recommendation is album Meds.
5. The Futurist by Robert Downey Jr. - This one is a bit happier than the previous ones, but yet it is suitable for melancholic mood. I was really surprised when I found out that Robert is not just a good actor but also a pretty talented singer and songwriter. Looking forward to his new album.

Finally, my breakups had several stages. The first one meant that I kept listening to some of the songs/albums mentioned above, together with some Phil Collins, Elton John and Guns n' Roses (you have no idea how much I cried while listening to "Don't Cry"). Second stage was the aggressive one, so the songs of the day were mostly by Marilyn Manson, Alice In Chains, Sabaton or Metallica (nothing makes you feel better than listening to "Die, die, die my darling" for million times - I know it is originally Misfits song, but I like Metallica version better). Third stage combined the two previous ones and sometimes joined in some positive songs. The final stage was the reconciliation. It was time for Beatles, Barry White, Kosheen and many others ("All In My Head" fills me up with energy every time).
That's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment