Thursday 15 January 2015

Zebra crossing culture

I have a confession to make: I hate driving. I do have a driver's licence for over five years now, but since then I've driven a car...wait for it...approx. four times. I am just not driving material. I realize that someday with job to go to and kids to pick up from school I might need to re-learn how to drive. But until then I appreciate other means of transport. Trains and buses for longer distances, bike and walking for shorter ones. As a walking- person I do have several remarks to you, the other occupants of sidewalks and participants of feet-commuting (and some of them reffer to drivers, bikers, dog-walkers etc.). By writing this I want to start a revolution of walking, I want to bring some organization and culture to walking. Just so it wasn't such a pain in the ass walking through the town, you know.

1. Right side is the right side - Why don't we all agree, that we will move on the right side of the sidewalk. The cars do the same thing on the streets. Most of the time it doesn't cause them any trouble and it prevents them from bumping into each other.  So why the heck do you think it is a good idea to go straight in the middle of the narrow path when it's impossible to pass by you? Be considerate, man!
2. No gathering! - It is understandable, that when the town is crowded, getting in the line on the RIGHT side won't help much. But I love these bunches of friends that can't get enough of each other and have to form a row of five people or more instead of a line. Our main street has been reconstructed some years ago to fit better the needs of pedestrians. Both sidewalks are like 3 metres wide (leaving tiny space for one car to squeeze between them). It didn't help a bit. They still do it and by they I mean students. I am one of you and even when I was 16 or so, I was able to move to the side when someone needed to run past me (which wasn't very often). It is great you have friends to talk to, but the sidewalks should also serve to other people so keep to your half of the path.
3. Speed up!  - this point is closely connected to those above. You are allowed to break both of these rules occasionally but on one condition - you are walking damn fast. See, everyone in my family walks fast. It is not because "the youngsters are always in a hurry", as the elders like to point out as I rush past them. First, I like getting warm while walking - walking is actually a great cardio exercise.  Second, I am not in a hurry, but I like getting to my meetings, work and other businesses on time and not 15 minutes late as many of my friends do. And third, I feel like a snail when moving slowly. I am young and vital and I walk fast, that is my condition. So, if you too are speed-walker, please enjoy your gathering on the LEFT side of the sidewalk. Or in the MIDDLE. As long as the people walking towards you do not object.
4. Crossing the streets - I hope you are all familiar with the street lights and those little green and red men. It is quite simple with them. Red fellow means stay out of the street, green one means you can step on the zebra. As you all know, there are still places that are not supplied with those colourful dudes, and it is kinda tricky. The law herer says, that if someone is standing on one side of the crossing with the intention to cross, you as a driver are bound to stop or you pay about 2000 CZK. Not nice. But, this thing doesn't mean that the pedestrians can be assholes. You should always take into account that even though it is forbidden not to let you cross the street at the zebra, the car is still much heavier than you. And if you get hit, you lose. So act like it. Show some culture. When someone stops to let you cross the street, smile and wave (I do it all the time and believe me, it will do you no harm). And speed up as much as you can. Or at least a little. I hate those people who actually slow down at the crossing. Are you mad? Do you want to be run over? No? Speed up then! 
5. Bike dillema - The good thing about a bike is that you can ride it either on the street or the sidewalk (if you are caught by a policeman in a bad mood, you can either get off the bike or ride away). You can fit almost everywhere and still be quite quick when getting from one place to another. But even if you are breaking some rules (I do ride on the sidewalk every other time as it's the quickest way to the centre), you should keep other rules, such as not being a jerk. You are a cyclist on a path for pedestrians so ride slowly not to hit anyone, don't yell at the others when they don't move out of your way quickly enough (you shouldn't even be there, you know!) and if necessary, dismount the bike and continue on your feet for a while.

After reading all this you must think I am a very unpleasant and angry person. But trust me, I have never told anyone acting terrible on the streets anything bad. Well, I do not talk to strangers. I find it rude to yell at someone on the street. I am constantly scold by strangers for going too fast, using my foldable scooter on the sidewalk, using my foldable scooter on the road, using my foldable scooter at my age, but I don't mind. I've done nothing wrong. I try my best not to get in someone else's way. And that is exactly what I would want from you. 
If you like the pictures attached to this article, you will love the last one - a silly walk Abbey Road gif, YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment