Monday 19 January 2015

You're too old

So, to explain the whole story, I have to go back a little bit. Last year I got a scooter. Not this one:
First of all, that would be quite an expensive present. And I am a reasonable woman and I hate wasting money. Second of all, I am a big ecologist. And whenever I can, I use my bike, feet or, when necessary, public transport (especially trains for school). I don't fancy the idea of having two or more cars in a family, I mean why? Also, this baby would not fit into my bag, can't be packed and just carried in my hand or in a satchel on my back.  And finally, I hate driving. I do have a drivers licence (which would apply for something like that too) but I really hate it. I am nervous and bad driver, I get tired and I can't watch the surroundings, which really bothers me. I know that one day I will have to drive, as I want a family and work and everything, but...!
No, I got a tiny scooter, big enough to be able to ride it and compact enough to be carried to school almost every day.
I've never had one. Scooter, I mean. When I was younger, I used to play with this girl from my class. She lived in a village nearby and she had two scooters and we used to ride across the village all the time. Until I got hurt. I wasn't used to riding a scooter and at that time, it was the one with really small wheels and metal plate and really heavy for a small thing like that. I was just trying to get off that thing and as I stepped on the ground, that thing spun and I got hit with the metal plate right above my heel. There was a lot of blood back then. I still have a scar. So naturally, I didn't want to ride a scooter for some time. But it seemed like a great idea having one now. So my boyfriend got it for me. I am 23 years old and I got a scooter. Perfect! And it really makes a difference. See, my classes end at quarter to something (all the time) and my train leaves at 3 minutes to that something (every hour, I know, but I don't like waiting). Anyway, the way from school to train station takes at least 10 minutes of fast walk. With a scooter? 5 minutes tops. And I get time to buy a coffee at the station! I'm a hell of a biker!
Ok, now I'm getting to the point. Last time I used it, I rode past this guy, who yelled at me something like "Ain't you too old for that?!" (Original: "Nejste na to nějak stará?")
First, I hate "yellers". The type of people who feel the urge to scream at random people in public, event if it is none of their business. On the other hand I get that look "you are too old for that"  when riding my scooter all the time. Mostly from younger girls. I think it's just envy. So I don't give a damn. Why should I? I know what they don't: that it is fast, cheap and also the most awesome feeling to ride that beauty.
You know, if you feel good when doing anything, you shouldn't be bothered whether you are too old for it. I mean, I also like swings. And I use them often. And no one yells at me. Because there are almost no children in the playground these days. So it is up to us, the "old" ones to keep these swinging...:)
And by the way, last time I was buying a bottle of wine to have a nice and cosy evening with my husband-to-be, I was asked for an ID, as I obviously look like a teenager (YES!).

No comments:

Post a Comment